Founded in New York in 1909 by Russian-born jeweler Louis Tamis, the company became the country's premier manufacturer of gold boxes and objets d'art. In the late '30s, they began producing money clips, pens and cufflinks. As the business continued to flourish, Louis' sons took over the company in 1948 and became one of the top high-end jewelry manufacturers in America. David Friedman traveled to Budapest to learn jewelry making under the traditional European guild system. Upon completing his apprenticeship with a master jeweler, he came to America in the early 20th century. Soon after his arrival in New York, he established himself as a master chain maker and with his partner formed the firm of Friedman and Kemény in 1913. Selling fine men’s platinum watch chains to Tiffany’s and the other emerging New York houses. The DFS trademark became known and relied upon by every major jewelry store in the United States. In 2004 DFS approached Louis Tamis with an offer to sell the company. Tamis & Sons was chosen because of its deep roots in the business of manufacturing high quality, handmade jewelry in the same family tradition as DFS. It was felt by all parties that the two product lines would complement each other perfectly. Today, the tradition continues with a wide range of handmade necklaces, bracelets, bracelet jackets, earrings, money clips and rings.